Plainview

a residential community

Home
Information Gallery

Maintenance

Future Plans

Contact Us

Links

Tway House


(click on picture to see a larger view)

The Tway House symbolizes our community. It is located on Timberwood Circle at Florian Road. Adjacent to the Tway House you will find the Plainview Swim and Tennis facilities.

The house was built as the homestead in 1923 for Robert C. Tway on Plainview Farm, it was a large dairy farm with as many as 975 acres surrounding the home. Today it links Plainview with its heritage. When the Tway heirs sold the property, the farm consisted of 630 acres that we know today as Plainview. The Tway house is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a significant example of twentieth century Georgian Revival architecture.

The house is a two-and-one-half story brick Georgian Revival structure with a symmetrical five-bay facade and roof dormers. Two-story wings at each side of the main block are set back from the front facade. There is a large, columned portico across the front of the main block.

The paneled front door has sidelights, pilasters and a bracketed balustrade above. A round arched window with a fanlight is on the second story above the entrance. First story windows are floor-length. Flanked by shutters, they open onto the porch. Similar windows on one wing have fan lighted arches. The roof is pierced by four interior chimneys. The interior woodwork and paneling are finely detailed in the Georgian Revival style.

The farm is now the Plainview subdivision off Hurstbourne Parkway in eastern Jefferson County. The Tway house became the Plainview Country Club for subdivision residents at the time of the development. It is now owned and maintained by the city of Jeffersontown.


2005 Plainview Residents' Association All Rights Reserved

HomeInformation GalleryNewsletterMaintenancePlansContact UsLinks